2010 in Retrospect

13 January 2011


2010 was, at times, the scariest, loneliest and most confusing year of my life. I quit my job I'd worked so hard to attain as a copywriter, a career move many described as "purely stupid" and moved 2,200 miles away to live with a strange family I'd never met before to take care of a two-year-old. (Good way to put my hard-earned Advertising degree to work, huh?) I left everyone that made me feel safe and loved: my family, friends, dog and boyfriend. I packed up a suitcase, prayed that God would help me out and left for the biggest adventure of my life.

Through all the tears, lonely nights and "Lost in Translation" moments, 2010 became the best year of my life yet. I became stronger. I became more independent. I became closer to being the woman I've always wanted to be. I did more than survive; I thrived. I made new friends, met beautiful people and learned something from everyone who entered my life. I evolved from a girl who had never publicly eaten a meal on her own to a woman who could enter a bar alone, talk to anyone sitting nearby and, by the end of the night, have had one of the best nights ever.

2010 was good to me. I fulfilled my dream of living in Barcelona. I drank wine and felt wildly alive in Paris. I prowled the canals of Amsterdam by night. I ate gelato with nuns in Rome. 


I partied way too hard in New Orleans and listened to 80s cover bands on Bourbon Street. I got healthy in Toronto. I ran. I ate (mostly) gluten-free. I hiked to high altitudes and experienced the most beautiful sunsets of my life in Santa Fe.

I was blessed enough to be able to spend time with my dad. I visited family I haven't seen in over a decade. I learned about my family history. I shot guns in El Paso. I caught my first fish and ate it the following day.

I cruised the Western Caribbean, consuming seafood, decadent desserts and wine like it was my job. I went scuba diving in Cozumel...and didn't die. I swam with stingrays and dolphins. I improved my Spanish skills.

I got a tan. I survived a winter in Chicago. I traveled to other states and countries independently. I bought drinks for strangers. I looked into the eyes of people I spoke to. I danced. I sang. I painted. I took photos.

I stayed out all night. I went to bed early and woke up before the sun. I talked a lot. I spent time alone. I read a mountain of books. I prayed.
I spent less time on my appearances. I stargazed. I volunteered. I slept on the beach. I broke some hearts. I went to the opera. I made friends on the Metro. I started work on my first Etsy shop. I admired art for hours in some of the world's best museums.

I watched "Dora the Explorer" more than I would have liked to. I kissed boo-boos to make them all better. I made blanket forts. I loved a two-year old.

I continued to learn about unselfish and true love. I laughed until I cried. I said "I love you" and meant it. I dreamed about my future. I followed my gut.


I can only hope 2011 will be half as fulfilling as this past year.I brought in the New Year in the snow, am currently staying in Madrid and am headed to New York City soon.


Wish me luck!

No comments: